The relevance of the topic of the master’s work is an indicator that the student is “in the subject”, is ready and can bring fresh thoughts, and is in step with the times. Who is interested in reading overwritten diploma theses from the Internet? Believe me, teachers know the paraphrased results of the top search by heart.
We don’t want to look like a laughingstock by bringing work on a topic that is already outdated. The first thing worth working with is to substantiate the relevance, novelty, and relevance of the research. Prove that the chosen topic is significant and that you, like no one else, are ready to reveal its essence and main details.
Everyone can write a master’s work, but let’s figure out how to make it relevant.
If you have no ideas, ask your boss. Do not ask the question “head-on”. Suggest a few of your drafts and recommendations will not keep you waiting
What topic is considered relevant?
A correctly chosen topic is half the success of the defense. The golden rule “how do you call a ship …” and further in the text works here. Surely you have ideas that it would be interesting to find out for yourself.
Relevance is everything important, interesting, and timely. Let’s simplify. You watch the trailer of the film and roughly understand what to expect, form your opinion, and find out the date of the premiere. But who cares about trailers of films that have already flopped at the box office?
So it is with the relevance of the master’s work. Explore current research topics, and assess the degree of importance and existing gaps. Science puts forward the following criteria for relevance:
- To what extent is the topic in demand in the scientific world and practice?
- How acute is the problem of the lack of completion of the question?
- What can you offer as a researcher that is innovative and, most importantly, useful?
So, the relevance of a master’s work is usefulness, significance for fundamental and applied science, timeliness, and reality.
Do not take one-day topics. Until you finish your research, the hypothesis will become obsolete. It’s like with the iPhone – did not have time to buy it, as the version is already outdated
Helpful tips on how to choose a hot topic
Master’s theses are not written every day. And, logically, many questions arise. Looking forward, a topical topic can become the basis for further work for the degree of candidate and doctor of sciences. This is another argument why the process must be approached responsibly, otherwise, it’s better to order the work at a professional paper writing service.
Tips that haven’t let you down yet:
- The optimal scheme – the topic of the master’s work coincides with the type of activity. Is it ridiculous if a future dentist decides to investigate the problems of the gastrointestinal tract?
- Objectively assess your strengths and take topics that are “tough”. Well, it does not happen that in the gym they squeezed the barbell to a maximum of 40 kg, and set a world record at the competition. Evaluate your surroundings and squeeze the maximum out of your category.
- Never take on dubious and completely undeveloped topics. The same goes for trendy but dubious trends. The lack of sources and material will complicate the work, and many questions on the defense can fail the project.
- Try to choose a topic “at the intersection” of several disciplines. It works. If the main focus is natural sciences, the technical component will be a good backdrop. And vice versa. The main thing is not to overdo it and not to allow a situation when “everything is confused – both people and horses.”
- Prove confidently and convincingly that you chose the topic for a reason and do not doubt your decision. On defense, this position works
- And, of course, do not forget to agree on the topic, justification of the relevance, and your conclusions with the scientific advisor. It is better to hear criticism at the beginning and take note of it than to refine or rewrite an entire study or part of it.